Plumbing emergencies can happen at unexpected and inconvenient times, like in the middle of the night. Sometimes, you can wait until the next day or maybe fix the problem yourself. Other times, waiting overnight could cost you thousands of dollars in water damage.
Read on to find out 4 times when you should call a 24/7 emergency plumber in Birmingham, AL.
First, take these 5 steps during a plumbing emergency:
- Call (205) 229-2090 anytime, 24/7, to reach our professional emergency plumbing hotline for Birmingham, AL. Hemphill Services has your back with local and experienced emergency plumbers.
- Add Hemphill Services, (205) 229-2090, to your phone contact list right now. It’s good to have an emergency plumber on call if a disaster strikes when you least expect it.
- Immediately switch off the water at the mains by shutting off the main stopcock. If you don’t know how to do this, ask the Hemphill Services representative to walk you through it on the phone. Shutting off the main stopcock is important as it will stop the flow of new water into your home, and prevent more water from flowing into the affected area.
- If water keeps flowing in, flush the toilet repeatedly to drain all the cold water in the system.
- If any electrical sockets have been affected, turn off your electricity at the mains.
Some issues are easy to fix yourself, but make sure you know about these 4 critical times that you should immediately call a 911 plumber in Birmingham, AL.
You can reach Hemphill Services right now at (205) 229-2090.
1. Call an emergency plumber when you have an overflowing toilet that you can’t fix.
Try these 2 steps yourself with an overflowing toilet:
- Remove the lid from the toilet tank and press down on the flapper valve (it’s that rubber piece in the center at the bottom) to prevent more water flooding into the bowl).
- Lift the float to stop water from entering the tank and try using a plunger to remove any blockages.
Call Hemphill Services at (205) 229-2090 to fix your overflowing toilet when:
- You’ve tried to unclog the toilet yourself and it hasn’t worked.
- You’re worried about causing more damage to your water system or if you think it might be a symptom of a more serious issue.
- The overflowing toilet is likely to start causing water damage to your home. It is quicker and cheaper to get immediate assistance from an emergency plumber.
2. Call an emergency plumber when you have a clogged drain that is causing a mess.
Your drain might be clogged for a serious reasons and require emergency assistance to resolve.
Clogged Drain Tip:
You may be tempted to do a DIY job using drain cleaning products. This is normally not a good solution as these products are corrosive and may damage your pipes and septic system which will lead to more costs down the line.
- If the clogged drain is causing a mess, it’s important to get immediate help to prevent further costly damage.
- If water isn’t being delivered properly to every faucet in the house because of blocked pipes, call an emergency plumber.
Clogged pipes can lead to flooding which will cause extensive damage to your home if they’re not fixed quickly. In cases like these, call Plumbing 911 in Birmingham, AL at (205) 229-2090.
3. Call an emergency plumber when you have no hot water.
Missing out on hot water might be a simple problem, but it may also be indicative of a more serious underlying issue.
Try these 3 quick checks that you can do yourself.
- If you have a gas water heater: Check the pilot light, the thermocouple and the gas line to ensure that they are all in working order.
- If you have an electric water heater: Try a quick reset (or a hard reset if it doesn’t resolve the issue).
- Check the age of the water heater: If it’s older than 10 years, then you might need to replace it.
It may be the case that your water heater is faulty, has developed a crack, or is leaking and this can lead to damage to your home. In these scenarios, the issue should be resolved by an emergency plumber as soon as possible.
4. Call an emergency plumber when you have a burst pipe.
- A cracked pipe is a serious issue as it can cause flooding and result in thousands of dollars worth of water damage.
- A burst pipe will require the services of a specialist. Finding the source of the issue can be difficult. It could be in the yard, below your foundations or in the walls of your home.
- A plumber will be able to find and fix most problems immediately.
- It’s important to use a professional rather than trying to solve the issue yourself. Water damage can continue while you are looking for the source (even if the mains are off).
Once you have switched off the water supply, and the electrical mains if needed, you should immediately call an emergency plumber. They will be able to help you assess any damage that has occurred, such as damaged flooring, drywall, or in the foundations.
If you have a plumbing emergency, don’t wait until the damage is done, call (205) 229-2090 today!
If you have a water issue that is going to cause additional damage, then it should be a priority to get it fixed. Don’t wait to call Hemphill Services 24/7. We’re your local trusted emergency plumber in Birmingham, AL and we’re here to help you fix your emergency plumbing problem today.
Call us Hemphill Services today at (205) 229-2090 so you don’t have to deal with your plumbing emergency tomorrow.